Twisted Little Delay
Unique retro delay lets you echo, loop, warp, distort and mangle.
Inspired by the classic Prime Time* from 1978, Little PrimalTap captures the highly distinctive sonic imprint of this quirky, and well-loved (by those in the know) vintage digital delay. Don’t be fooled by its simple interface, Little PrimalTap lets you unleash your creative urges to echo, loop, warp, distort, mangle, or create cacophonous cascades of otherworldly sounds.
The Primal Sound
The Prime Time was used by a wide variety of artists back in the ’80s for rich guitar delay, chorus, flange and such, and it did a great job with those things. But the really unique character of its sound came from one of its limitations.
In an attempt to get more out of the technology (and probably stay under budget) it had a feature called Multiply that halved the sample rate each time the delay time was doubled. Sound weird? It does indeed. And it’s just the kind of weird that we love.
Twist And Shout
On this little beast, turning knobs is where it’s at, and that’s how to reveal all the oddities it can create. The Multiply knob supplies extra delay time that has drastic tonal changes with each increase. The Adjust knob creates pitch shift, chorus, or flange when moved. The Feedback and Input drive tie it all together to allow for sounds just not found on any of the “normal” delay plug-ins.
Yes, the Feedback can go infinite, and do everything from classic delay style looping to old school sci-fi space noise. Oh, and we doubled the massive 256 milliseconds of delay time from the original (128 if you had the non-expanded one) to 512 milliseconds, so you’ve got some serious looping power if you need it. It’s ok to let it get out of control, unlike the old days where you could blow your speakers (or your ears) if you didn’t stay on top of the feedback. Little PrimalTap lets you use it as another layer of sonic color, and even opens the door for synth-like sounds.
Want even more creative tweakability? Check out the deluxe version, PrimalTap. You’ll get that same quirky PrimalTap sound with two independent delay lines, an LFO for automated pitch shifting, a menu of different delay algorithms, and the awesome Freeze effect.
- Get vintage digital delay sounds inspired by the quirky Prime Time echo
- Create grimy, lo-fi echos and wild pitch jumps with the Multiply knob
- Warp and bend the echos by tweaking the Adjust control
- Use automation to bring your tracks to life
Plug-in Formats (64-bit only):
- AAX Native, AAX AudioSuite, VST, and Audio Units (AU)
Supported Sample Rates:
- Minimum: 44.1 kHz, Maximum: 192 kHz
- Operating systems: Mac OS X 10.8 or later; Windows 7 or later
- An internet connection is required at the time of activation
- A FREE account at ilok.com is required (a physical USB iLok is not required)
Officially Supported Host Applications
All version 5 Soundtoys products come with 64-bit VST, AU and AAX Native plug-in formats. Here is a list of all of the DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) that we currently support:
- Pro Tools 10.3.5 – 2018 (Mac & PC: AAX Native and AudioSuite)
- Logic Pro 9 & X (Mac: AudioUnits)
- Ableton Live 9.2.2 – 10.1 (Mac: AudioUnits & VST; Windows: VST)
- Digital Performer 8 – 10 (Mac: AudioUnits & VST; Windows: VST)
- Studio One 4.5 (Mac: AudioUnits & VST; Windows: VST)
- Cubase 7 – 10 (Mac & PC: VST)
- Nuendo 6 – 10 (Mac & PC: VST)
- You need to have a FREE account at ilok.com to be able to register and use purchased versions of any Soundtoys software.
- This software is 64-bit only and is not compatible on 32-bit systems.
Any references to any brands on this site/page, including reference to brands and instruments, are provided for description purposes only. For example references to instrument brands are provided to describe the sound of the instrument and/or the instrument used in the sample. Plugin Boutique do not have (nor do they claim) any association with or endorsement by these brands. Any goodwill attached to those brands rest with the brand owner. Plugin Boutique or its Suppliers do not accept any liability in relation to the content of the product or the accuracy of the description. “RHODES” is a registered trademark of Joseph A Brandstetter.