The Gold Standard in Mastering
Mastering compression, limiting, and de-essing without compromise. Every mastering engineer’s fondest dream is about to come true. Softube’s plug-in is a line-by-line code port of the legendary Weiss DS1-MK3 mastering processor — the unit no serious mastering engineer can do without.
The DS1-MK3 brings unparalleled mastering quality into the DAW-based studio with new features and workflows and makes the very best in mastering dynamics more affordable than ever.
Purchase of the DS1-MK3 also includes the intelligent Weiss MM-1 Mastering Maximizer plug-in, the Weiss Deess de-essing plug-in and the Weiss Compressor/Limiter plug-in.
Since its launch in the 1990s, the Weiss DS1 has become an absolute gold-standard unit, indispensable in mastering studios around the world despite a premium price tag. Its transparency, unparalleled versatility, and exceptional sound quality make it a must-have, heard (or rather not heard) on pretty much any major record you’d care to mention from the last twenty years. And in that time updates and improvements by Weiss have led to the near-perfection of the DS1-MK3.
And now for the first time ever, it is available as a plug-in from Softube, offering more flexibility than ever in a modern DAW environment, at a fraction of the cost.
What is the Weiss DS1-MK3?
This digital compressor/limiter/de-esser performs tasks no analogue unit ever could, across a wider range of settings. World-renowned mastering engineer, Bob Katz, author of Mastering Audio (hailed by Sound on Sound magazine as ‘the definitive work on mastering’), and three times Grammy winner, described the original hardware unit as ‘impeccable’, saying ‘it is the most transparent, refined, flexible, and least “digital-sounding” dynamics processor I have ever used.’
Working in collaboration with Weiss Digital Audio, this latest addition to the already rich and desirable Softube product range has been almost three years in development. Porting the code perfectly, line by line, from the original unit so that the plug-in sounds identical was just one task. Recreating the workflow and characteristic broad and usable functionality that made the Weiss such a legend was another.
Running at 32 bit/192 kHz (an upgrade on even the hardware original) the plug-in opens up the absolute pinnacle of sound quality to everyone. And with two all-new advanced limiter algorithms in addition to the Weiss original, nothing touches this processor for sheer excellence. Mastering like the masters is open to all for the first time, with all the loudness, clarity, and precision, and none of the drawbacks.
An Improvement on a Legend
The plug-in DS1-MK3 works at resolutions of up to 32 bit/192 kHz (an upgrade on the original hardware). And because it’s a plug-in, you can run it on multiple tracks at once, at no extra cost.
De-ess your mids and sides independently. Compress with variable soft-knee settings to take you from gentle levelling all the way to aggressive crushing. And limit with simply the best, most transparent, brick wall available — including two all-new advanced limiter algorithms in addition to the Weiss original, the second of which is designed for true peak limiting.
- Officially licensed and endorsed by Daniel Weiss himself.
- Not an emulation, but a line-by-line code port of the original digital hardware.
- Exactly the same processor as the $10,000 original, at a fraction of the cost.
- Three processors in one; de-ess, compress, and limit, with the industry-standard tool.
- Processes at resolutions of up to 32 bit/192 kHz for exceptional sound quality.
- Advanced metering – waveform view.
- Featuring all-new presets from Bob Katz.
- Truly versatile de-essing. Choose your own filters, adjust frequency, and tailor the process to your needs working in stereo or mid-sides.
- Digital compressor can operate at speeds no analogue unit ever could and offers you total control.
- Two brand-new limiter algorithms included, as well as the Weiss original.
- Run multiple instances of this legendary unit on the same mix at no extra cost.
- Nothing sounds as clean, as transparent, as good. That’s why the hardware is in every major mastering studio in the world.
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested (64-bit only).
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10 (64-bit only).
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280×800 or larger.
- Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space).
- A Softube account is required to register and install the software.
- An iLok account is required for authorisation of the software.
- Internet access for downloading installer and managing licenses.
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use a physical iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
- The most recent maintenance release of the DAW application is recommended.
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs – and our own rigorous testing standards – we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Live, Studio One, Digital Performer, Reaper and Sonar. Softube plugins are not tested in the non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Important note: make sure that you always use the latest iLok License Manager. It is not included in the Softube installer but can be downloaded from www.ilok.com
Any references to any brands on this site/page, including reference to brands and instruments, are provided for description purposes only. For example references to instrument brands are provided to describe the sound of the instrument and/or the instrument used in the sample. Plugin Boutique do not have (nor do they claim) any association with or endorsement by these brands. Any goodwill attached to those brands rest with the brand owner. Plugin Boutique or its Suppliers do not accept any liability in relation to the content of the product or the accuracy of the description. “RHODES” is a registered trademark of Joseph A Brandstetter.