5 ways on how to promote your music for free!
Independent artists and producer hobbyists struggling to get things up off the ground when it comes to music promotion. Often they are left asking the question: “how do I promote my music for free?”. Let us help you out with these 5 tips on how to promote your music for free.
How to promote your music for free
Well, try these tips for starters.
Soundcloud is a free platform for you to publish your music to. Getting your artist or brand identity up there is a key start doing music promo. Take a look at https://soundcloud.com/martyguk
2. Blogger or WordPress
Again, just like Soundcloud, any promo is good promo. So get a free site set up using an online blog and tell the world about your journey. It might help you see where you’ve come from and give you the push you need when times get tough in the music production experience.
This is one of, if not the biggest platform to promote yourself on. It doesn’t make sense to avoid it. Whether you are uploading music with some crazy graphics for the video, or you do a full on music video production, YouTube is a great place to promote what you offer. Take a look at my YouTube channel for what can be done.
Telling your friends and family about your music is a great way to get word of mouth promotion. They don’t have to be near you to support you so if you create a band page on Facebook then you can share it with them. They can share with their friends etc. Same goes with Twitter.
You can tell anyone about your music on Instagram. You can video yourself producing it, or even make a video about your production process. So many options and it is free!
Good luck with your music and keep on going. You have made it this far so keep at it. Keep telling people about it and hopefully this will show you how to promote your music for free. Then you can get popular and start to afford other advertising costs going forward.
What did AI say?
I asked the bots what was the best way to promote music for free and they told me this:
Promoting your music for free can be challenging, but there are several effective strategies you can use to get your music in front of a wider audience without spending money. Here are some tips:
- Create High-Quality Music: The first and most important step is to create music that is well-produced and engaging. Quality music is more likely to attract listeners and fans.
- Utilise Social Media: Establish a strong presence on platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok. Share updates about your music, engage with your audience, and use relevant hashtags to reach a larger audience.
- YouTube: Create a YouTube channel to share your music videos, lyric videos, and behind-the-scenes content. YouTube can be a powerful platform for promoting your music for free.
- SoundCloud and Bandcamp: These platforms are great for independent artists. You can upload your music for free and gain followers and listeners.
- Music Promotion Websites: Websites like Hypeddit and RepostExchange can help you grow your SoundCloud and social media presence by trading reposts with other artists.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Partner with influencers or bloggers in your niche who can feature your music on their platforms. This can help you reach a larger and more targeted audience.
- Networking: Attend local music events, open mics, and concerts. Connect with other artists and fans in your area. Networking can lead to opportunities for collaboration and promotion.
- Email Marketing: Build an email list of fans and send regular updates about your music, shows, and news. Services like MailChimp offer free plans for small email lists.
- Online Communities: Participate in online music communities and forums. Share your music, get feedback, and build relationships with other artists.
- Free Music Streaming Services: Upload your music to platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music using services like DistroKid TuneCore. While there may be some fees associated with these services, they offer free distribution options.
- Submit to Playlists: Submit your music to user-generated playlists on platforms like Spotify and SoundCloud. Many playlist curators are open to discovering new artists.
- Press Releases: Write press releases about your music and send them to local newspapers, blogs, and online music magazines. Some may be interested in featuring your story.
- Music Blogs and Podcasts: Reach out to music blogs and podcasts that cover your genre of music. Offer them your music and be open to interviews or features.
- Free Streaming Events: Host live streaming events on platforms like Instagram or Facebook. Promote these events to your audience, and encourage them to share with their friends.
- Street Team: Build a street team of dedicated fans who can help promote your music locally by distributing flyers or sharing your music with their friends.
- DIY Merchandise: Create your own merchandise (e.g., T-shirts, stickers, posters) that promote your music. You can sell or give away these items to increase visibility.
Remember that building a fanbase and getting your music noticed can take time. Be consistent in your efforts, engage with your audience, and be open to experimenting with different strategies to see what works best for you. Patience and persistence are key in the music industry.